Monday, December 19, 2022

Memorial quilt

I rarely make anything for others when asked to. I can make stuff for people and gift them, if I get the idea myself - but I've avoided custom work. Mainly because it feels like whenever something is something I have to do, it's a real dread and all my motivation and will to craft goes down the drain. 

Until now. 

A friend of ours sent me a message a couple of weeks ago, asking if I'd be willing to help her help a friends of hers, who's just been through a devastating experience in her life, by making a t-shirt quilt for her. 

 I told her I'd never done that before, and wasn't sure if what I would be able to do would be good enough - but also that if she really wantet, I'd give it a try.

She came by with a bag of t-shirts and a fleece blanket, and I started to think..

First I demolished the t-shirts to see how large pieces I could get from them - and ironed on stabilising fabric to make them more manageable. 


This is the first layout. Trying to save as much of the designs on the t-shirts that had designs on them.


Checking to see how this layout would work with the fleece blanket. I moved some of the blocks around to get a bit more air around the designs.


And finally spray-glued to the fleece blanket!

I quilted it with straight lines following each seam, and cut the sides of the fleece down to 2". Folded the edges in twice before sewing it down. 

I didn't get a ood picture of the finished quilt, but our friends was very happy. The imposter syndrome is great in this one, so I'm still aftraid I've messed up..

No comments: