Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Home Sewn Sampler Bag - a finished object

In the fall of 2014, Anni Downs of Hatched and Patched came to Norway to teach a class. My mom and I participated, and brought with us our copies of Anni's book The Home Patch - which she so kindly signed for us. This is the reason why I know how long this object has been in production. First thinking of it, then planning for it - and then, finally, starting to sew it.

The Home Sewn Sampler Bag.

It is a bag made of 6 panels - two with stitcheries, two with wool applique and two with epp hexagons (and a few hexies with stitcheries).

I started working on the stitchery panels, I think, maybe the summer of 2018 - or was it 2019? Anyway, they were stitched up pretty fast - and then.. the whole project idled..

Next came the hexie panels. I started out cutting from a small charm pack that I had with fabric designed by Anni Downs, which my mom gave me after one of her quilty trips (was it Birmingham or the Netherlands? I can't remember). This gave me about.. 1/3 of the hexies I needed. The ones with stitcheries were also made around this time. And then the project went back to rest.

This winter I realised that I might have a mini charm pack that might match kinda sort of with the fabric Anni designed - and which I had already made into hexies. Well, I found one from Basic Grey (Persimmon) and thought the colours matched pretty well. Thus the hexie panels were completed.

Thinking it'd be stupid to just let the project idle once more, I braced myself for the wool applique, took out two charm packs of handdyed wool (I don't remember when I bought these.. I should start writing it up or write it on the labels) and went to work..

The applique went by like a breeze, and after a week of Teams meetings and working from home - they were done!

With all the six panels ready, it'd be silly to put it back in the drawer, right? Well, yes.

Pulling out fabric for the lining, ironing on some batting, sewing a few (haha..) seams - following the instructions provided in the book - and suddenly, it's done!





It's larger than I thought, colourful - yet not in a loud way, and I absolutely love it!

I may not be the quickest one to finish projects, but I get there - in the end. :)

1 comment:

Chookyblue...... said...

One day I'll get this bag made.... So pleased you got to the end.....