Sunday, December 06, 2015

2nd Sunday of Advent

Dear mom,

It's already the second Sunday of Advent! Tomorrow they will be having a santa party at P's kindergarten. Today we are planning to decorate a gingerbread house. I hope it will turn out a little better than our last attempt (in short, it was extremely soggy!). I'll send you a picture when we're done.  

I remember our gingerbread houses growing up. And how the back of the houses always seemed to lose decoration over the course of the Christmas days.. I wonder where it went.. was it the house mouse?

Did you know that the reason it is called pepperkaker in Norwegian, although we don't use that much pepper in the dough anymore (I know that some versions use pepper, but most dont). It was because at one time spices were so expensive and rare, that when used in cooking and baking, one would say that one "peppered" the dough/meal - meaning adding spices. We still call them pepperkaker, but the english name (gingerbread cookies) or spiced cookies might be a more fitting name. 


The second Sunday of Advent brings along a double-gift. Because even quilters get cold (or idle hands). 

I hope you like it!

Hugs.

No comments: