Well, I did say in my previous post that I would write about the social event my sister and I went to last week, and here it comes.
Last Wednesday we went to Ringen Kino (a cinema here in Oslo) to attend an event hosted by Aftenposten (one of the largest newspapers here in Norway) called Norges største barselstreff (Norways biggest event for people on leave, like maternity leave, from newborn to about one or two years).
It is basically a day (well, a few hours) where mothers (and fathers, there have been a few dads there too) can get some information about different topics, do something different for a change and be a bit social.
Last week there were a few stands introducing their products (Nøstebarn, Nestlé and Neutral) and representatives from both Nøstebarn and Neutral spoke about their products (Nøstebarn about children and babies and wool clothes - and Neutral about allergies and their products being very good for sensitive skin). There was also a standup comedian who entertained - and a representative from the cinema telling about babykino (where the lights are only dimmed, the sound is little bit lowered - and people can bring their babies) and which movies are coming in the near future.
I've really enjoyed the two events I've attended - and not just because they have a goodie bag (but who doesn't like a goodie bag?). It's the whole doing something different, learning something, meeting new people (and babies) that really makes these kinds of events attractive to me. (It's like the baby focused version of a quilt show - you go to learn something new, look at the exhibitions and the products the shops have, to meet new and old friends (and sometimes there's even a goodie bag too!).
This time the goodie bag included :
- two magazines from Aftenposten called Oppvekst and A-magasinet
- a book from Litor/Egmont (Baby-bok - the book for the smallest)
- samples of baby shampoo and bath & wash gel and a huge pack of wet wipes from Neutral
- a catalogue, information about washing wool products, a promotional coupon and a baby hat from Nøstebarn (and a very handy drawstring bag which these things were stored)
- some samples of babyfood from Nestlé (in my bag there were three squeese bags of banana yoghurt and one mango-banana yoghurt for babies from 6 months and up, and a sample of porridge with apples and prunes for babies from 6-18 months - all of these will be stored until A is old enough to try them - she's already three months old this Monday!)
- a bottle of Møller's tran (cod fish oil - omega 3, supposedly very healthy for babies and grown-ups, but..)
- a sample of Vivage wet wipes (for intimate areas..)
- a pack of hand & face wipes from Libero (which is very handy when out and about with babies/kids who attract dirt and mess - which mine do.. well, not A yet but her brother is pretty good at attracting these things, like a magnetic effect!)
Last time MAM were there too, and a few representatives from Skôda talked about safety in cars, and there was a lady speaking about routines around sleeping (how to build good routines so that both babies and parents get a good night's sleep).
I don't know when the next event is going to be, but if we still live in the area I'm definitely thinking about attending. My sister, however, might not. Not because she doesn't find the subjects interesting, but more because little F is not interested in hanging around listening to some strange people - but is generally more interested in exploring, climbing the stairs and getting the heck out of there! Strange to think that A most likely will be all over the place in a few months time.. P started crawling when he was 7 months old.. that's like four months older than A is now. I wonder if she'll be mobile by the time she's baptised (which will be right before her 7 month-day).
Hubby is currently on the plane to Spain (Barcelona) and both the kids are sleeping (touch wood!). I'm enjoying a little much needed me-time before bedtime. The events from the past couple of weeks are still effecting me, making me feel tired and exhausted (ended up taking a two hour nap with A this afternoon) so I'm really looking forward to a more quiet time ahead. Not much travelling or big plans, not until our summer vacation in July. I should probably go to bed, but it is just so nice to sit here and enjoy quiet.. just for a few more minutes..