Friday, January 07, 2011

Hooked on knitting?

Well, atleast for the moment.. BF's aunt and grandmother gave me a gift certificate from one of the big malls for Christmas, and Peder and I took a trip down the day before yesterday to take a look. Well, we ended up going back yesterday and spend most of it on a pile of knitting books. One of them was this one - by Arne and Carlos - with 55 different designs for Christmas ornaments.


The reason why I didn't buy it on Tuesday, was that I had to go home first and see if I managed to knit using 5 needles (I usually just use two, and knit back and forth, or use one with a wire on). Well, let's just say that after Peder went to bed on Tuesday, I found some yarn and some nice bamboo needles, and it worked like a charm (I've only tried this like one or two times before.. with not-so-very-pretty results..).

Last night I begun knitting, following the basic pattern (aka no additional design, using only one colour) and by the end of the night (2 episodes of CSI: Las Vegas and one episode of Bones - yup, we do love our sci-fi crime in this house) it was finished. (Well, not much to look at now, I haven't filled it yet, so it's basically a flat, round thing made of yarn..)

It was so much fun making the first one, that I found some leftover red yarn (from one of Emma's strawberry hats, I think) and started on another one. I'm going downtown tomorrow (going to get an eye exam and getting my hair cut) so I might stop by the yarn shop to see if I can find the type of yarn they've used in the book (to test it) and I should probably see if I can find something to stuff them with. And then, when they're stuffed (or, the one I've knitted so far, anyway) I'm going to post a picture. I promise.

Thank you for the kind words regarding our kitchen in the last post. Today a man came, drilled a hole in the floor (a very small one) and installed some kind of plastic thingy that will help give accurate readings. He also put a very warm fan in there to help dry the concrete, and he'll be back in about two weeks to check how the floor's doing. By then we should know if it's enough with the two weeks - or if we're looking at another few weeks or a month or two.. *fingers crossed*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! 5 needles?? That's crazy! Can't wait to see some pictures of your ornaments and also of your reconstructed kitchen!

Laila said...

Hi...
Oh I cross my fingers too :-))
I hope to be able to try to make me a ornament ...
I got a lot of yarn...
Hugs :-))