Thursday, February 20, 2020

Spinning around

Yesterday I went to Værbitt to learn something new. Something I've merely tried - unsupervised and guided only by a video on YouTube - but this time with a teacher.

Spinning yarn with a drop spindle.

Which might sound a little weird. I mean, you can buy good yarn in fantastic shops - why bother making your own?

Well, why do we try new things? Why do we test new notions and yarn types, fabric weights and sewing needles? New (or old) techniques? Because it's fun! And I think you're left with a better understanding of how things are made, how yarn has been and is spun. Mostly by machines, yes, perhaps - but also by hand.

And altough my hands and fingers are really sore after those three hours last night, I'm looking forward to giving it another go! Testing fiber (norwegian wool, merino wool, and so on) and trying to spin the fibre thin enough to combine with other yarn to make into something.



This is the drop spindle I used last night, with my freshly spun two treads yarn on. As you can see, the thickness is a little wibbley-wobbley (a Doctor Who-referance to time and space) but for a second attempt (ever) at handspinning I think it's quite OK. Maybe even usable for something.



And here it is, all wound up into a  miniature skein. I still need to soak it in water for a couple of hours and let it dry. Apparently, handspun yarn needs a little TLC or spa treatment before one can knit with it. I didn't know that (until last night). But it makes sense, I guess. Spinning the fibres introduce a lot of tension and energy into the fibre - and yarn - and unless you want spagetti, it needs to relax again.

So, tonight, when I come home, I will put my little skein in a nice little bath, letting it's little shoulders relax - and letting it take some nice, deep breaths. And then it will be exciting to see how it looks, feels - and behaves after it has dried.

No comments: